Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Minus The Bear - Omni



Minus The Bear has been a regular part of my listening rotation since my brother showed me their music back when they released "Menos El Oso" five years ago, and since then they have been a band that seems determined to break all genre boundaries. Minus The Bear seamlessly have been encompassing all that the indie-experimental/pop/dance genre has to offer for years now, so I had very high expectations leading up to their most recent release Omni. I will tell you right now, Omni does not disappoint in the least. Vocalist Jake Snider brings his A-game throughout all ten tracks on Omni, and both he and lead guitarist Dave Knudson (Ex-Botch...I know right?) keep the spacy-yet-catchy vibe flowing nonstop. Knudson impresses as always with his use of two-handed tapping, but also embraces the listener with his ability to create melody out of obscurity. Erin Tate provides a solid beat on every track, flawlessly commanding control over some of Minus The Bear's most syncopated melodies yet, constantly aware of where the time is and never slipping up once. Not to mention, he's pretty creative at what he does. Overall, every musician has their moment to shine on Omni, and none of them disappoint.

I won't go in depth over every song this time, but I'll highlight some of my favorite tracks within the full track list.

1. My Time - an amazing opening to the album...full of energy and creativity. Vocals melodies will be stuck in your head for days, I promise.
2. Summer Angel
3. Secret Country
- One of the funkiest songs Minus The Bear has ever released...Great arrangement and very interesting beat driving the entire song.
4. Hold Me Down
5. Excuses - Simply flawless.
6. The Thief
7. Into The Mirror
8. Animal Backwards - Really their first time experimenting with an entirely electronic style...Almost reminiscent of modern House music.
9. Dayglow Vista Road
10. Fooled By The Night


Download Minus The Bear's 2010 release Omni right now!
http://www.mediafire.com/?njhjnzzzioo

Not sure what I will review next! Consider the suggestion box open.

No comments:

Post a Comment